in research project on land use and climate change adaptation/ West Africa
The three doctoral candidates will work on the following research subjects:
1. Historical relations between demography and land use in West Africa
2. Decision‐making within rural households in West Africa
3. The politics of adaptation to climate change in West Africa
The candidate will be expected to participate in the interdisciplinary and disciplinary
courses of the ZEF Doctoral Studies Program from 1st October 2011 ‐ February 2012.
He/she will develop an individual research proposal until February 2012. For data
collection, 10‐12 months of field research in West Africa will be required. During the
writing‐up period of the dissertation, the candidate will be based at ZEF in Bonn.
Duration of the doctoral studies:
Three years starting from August 2011 under conditional acceptance of the confirmation
by the funding agency. A scholarship awarded will cover living, research as well as travel
Requirements for the applicants:
• very good degree (Diploma, Master or Magister) in social anthropology, social
geography, political sciences or development sociology
• very good writing skills in English are required for the dissertation
• very good knowledge of French are required for research in a francophone
• good knowledge of field research methods is required
• experience in research is of advantage
• work experience in West Africa is of advantage
African candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
The eligible candidates are invited to send their application including
• a letter of motivation
• a concept note that addresses the research topic, problem statement, research
objectives and question, suggested methodology (2‐3 pages)
• Curriculum Vitae
• copies of academic certificates
• a letter of reference.
Please, send the hard copy of the application to:
Center for Development Research
Dr. Irit Eguavoen (ZEFa)
D‐ 53113 Bonn
Closing date for the application is the 20th June 2011. Short–listed candidates will be
contacted for an interview.
The scholarships start in August 2011. The calls for application are published on the project websites:
www.wascal.org, www.zef.de, WCEA.education